Birth of Beckett - Colorado Springs Birth Photography


When the day came, and I got that faithful text saying things were picking up, I hopped in my car and headed down the road to meet Theresa and Nathan. They were walking side by side down the sidewalk close to their home here in Colorado Springs. One of my very favorite midwives in town, Megan Dickey, just so happened to be neighbors with them, and came by to check on her progress shortly after I arrived. After the news came that Theresa was dilated enough to make our way to the hospital, we did! Contractions came quickly and forcefully and little Beckett was born around 10:30 that night. It was such a sweet natural birth, especially since she was planning to be induced at 41 weeks. I love when I get to share a mama's own personal story, so I will leave that all to her down below.  

Theresa and Nathan,

Thank you so much for allowing me to capture this beautiful day in your lives. I wish you all the best going into this adventure with a newborn together.  


My due date was June 26, but I was almost positive I would not meet our baby before then. This was our fourth baby (after a boy and two girls), and I was induced with all of our other three. I did not want to be induced this time, and for the first time, we would be surprised with the gender at the birth (although my husband Nathan and I were convinced it would be another girl!) . Since I had never gone into labor on my own before, I was worried that I wouldn’t know when I was in labor or know when to go to the hospital.
Even though I was set on not inducing, my midwife Megan and I had decided since there would be no benefit to going past 41 weeks, I would be induced at 41 weeks on uly 3rd. June 26th came and went without a baby, like I guessed it would. I had one week to convince this baby to come out on his or her own!
The morning of June 29th was a hot one, and for some reason I decided that I needed to be outside working on a painting project. After I had enough of that, I watched my three kids play in the sprinkler and eat popsicles while I did my Spinning Babies exercises and stretches to try to coax the baby into a good position. I got a text from Megan around 2 p.m. that she had just scheduled my induction. At 4:15 p.m., while I was finalizing my labor playlist on my computer, I had a BIG contraction. Fifteen minutes later, I had another one, and I told my husband he better go ahead and get home because I was pretty sure it was baby time! He got home, and we labored together, timing contractions just to make sure this was really it. Megan came over a bit later (she doesn’t normally do house calls, but she IS my next door neighbor!), and ensured the baby was responding well to the contractions. She also did some Rebozo Sifting to help encourage the baby into the correct position. We agreed that it was her scheduling my induction that finally convinced the baby to come out! She sent us out for a walk around the neighborhood to make some more progress, and we didn’t get far.. the contractions were getting more frequent and more intense. It was time to head to the hospital!
We made it into our room about 9:15. Megan joined us very shortly after, and broke my water somewhere around 9:45. The pain was intense, although I knew what to expect after having my third baby without an epidural. After just a few pushes, our little boy (surprise!) came out to play at 10:34 p.m.! Beckett was 8 lb 3 oz and had the absolute loudest newborn cry I’ve ever heard. I’m so thankful for my husband’s support, Megan’s expertise, and Brezi’s photographs so I can look back on the beauty of Beckett’s birth!