Elizabeth Marie - A Colorado Springs Home Birth

I got a text at 6:32 am, Saturday August 8th. My heart pounded because I just knew it was my lovely friend Tonya alerting me that she was in labor, and I was so excited to film the birth of her second child. I was already awake, and had just gotten done checking my phone to make sure I hadn't missed a call or text. She was about 12 days past her guess date, and her first baby had been born 10 days past hers. So it could happen at any moment! I got all ready to go, scooted a nursing mini shoot up an hour and waited. Not long after, 10:21am to be exact, she texted me saying that her labor had slowed a lot. Her contractions were at about 5 to 7 minutes apart, but then things came to a hault. We kept in communication all day, until about 3:00 pm. That was the last time I had heard anything, until the next morning. It's amazing what being on call will do to me, I usually sleep through anything, but not when I'm on call. I was up every couple of hours checking my phone, I couldn't miss this baby's arrival after all! I got up for the day around 6:30am that sunday morning. I was about to grab my phone when I get a call. At this point it was about 7:30 am, and instead of Tonya on the other line, I heard her best friend's voice telling me I could start heading over, she was about 5 centimeters dilated, and there was no sense of urgency in her voice.

It only took me about 30 minutes to get out the door, and head that direction. In reality, I could have been out in about 3 minutes flat, but I figured since it had been this slow up until that point, I was probably going to be there a little early. I love home birth though, I can handle sitting at a beautiful home birth all day long if need be. It's one of the most relaxing atmospheres to be in. I wouldn't mind spending a Sunday hanging out with a gorgeous laboring mama, and her family. I packed up and made my way over to her cozy apartment in Manitou Springs, about a 30 minute drive from my home. I was about half way there when I get a text from one of the birth professionals at Tonya's house telling me that she is pushing! I am surprised I didn't get a speeding ticket, as I continued on my trek over to them. She went from 5cm, to 10, to pushing in a little less than an hour! It was one of those things that I couldn't have predicted, nor anyone else for that matter. That's the beauty of home birth, your body is allowed to progress the way that it was meant to without disruption. Without distraction. 

I sped into her complex, grabbed my bag and ran up the stairs. Pulling my camera from my bag, I fiddled with the settings, the microphone, and other necessities I had with me to begin filming right away. I did my best to contain my excitement as I tried to come in the door quickly but quietly. I couldn't tell if she had baby yet, as there was a wall of people in front of the birthing tub. I hit record, and saw a beautiful new baby and mother relaxing in the pool together. I asked what time it was. 8:35 am. Tonya had her second daughter at 8:31 am. 

Birth is tricky like that sometimes. It can take a turn that no one can ever be ready for, no matter how much preparation you do. However, these things do happen. I was able to put together a beautiful film of the hours following of a beautiful baby, and everyone gathered to witness her arrival. She is perfect.  

Introducing, Elizabeth Marie. Born August 9th, at 8:31 am. Weighing a whole 7 lbs, 8 oz.
I hope you enjoy . . .